Wednesday 5 June 2013

Grilled Couscous & Halloumi Salad.

I've been joking recently that it's impossible to get through a week in London without eating a burger (hamburger to us). No matter how hard I try, I'll end up at a pub having not eaten, and end up getting a burger. I'm not even a big burger fan.

A few weeks ago at The Goat, there was a breakthrough. One of the menu items was a Grilled Halloumi Couscous Salad. In an attempt to order something that included vegetables, I was sold.

I have been talking about this salad for the last few weeks, and last night successfully recreated it.



What you'll need:

I block of Halloumi Cheese
250g Couscous
1 can Chickpeas
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried corriander
1 chicken stock cube
15-20 cherry tomatoes
1/2 a Cucumber
3-4 slices finely chopped red onion
1/2 an avocado
2 cloves garlic
Olive Oil
Juice of one lemon
1 bag mixed salad greens

Method:

1) Place chickpeas on a foil lined cookie sheet tossed in Olive oil, a finely chopped garlic clove and a little bit of cumin, and grill in the oven (broil), for 10-15 mins (turning now and then)

2) Boil 400ml of water, and combine with chicken stock seasoning, cinnamon, cumin, and corriander

3) Put 250g couscous in a frying pan with a tbsp of olive oil, and another finely chopped garlic clove and brown for about five minutes

4) Once couscous is slightly brown place in large bowl with  the boiled chicken stock mixture, mix well, add a splash of olive oil, cover, and let sit while you prepare the rest of the salad 
(must sit at least 5 mins)

5) Chop cucumber, tomatoes, onion, and avocado and add to cous cous (I placed the avocado on top- just to make it look interesting)

6) Heat a tbsp of olive oil in a large pan, and add slices of Halloumi, browning both sides (this happens quite quickly so keep your eye on it). Remove from heat, get rid of excess oil, and let cool.

7) Add a couple tbsps of olive oil, salt and pepper, and lemon juice to the cous cous, to flavour. Stir to make sure entire bowl is dressed



To serve:

1) Place your greens as the base layer on each plate, followed by the cous cous, topped with slices of Halloumi (or cubes to make for easier consumption)


I hope you enjoy this. I think it's going to be my summer go to. Might even replace the Mango Quinoa recipe from last year!

Lastly, so you can laugh at my expense, you can check out my cooking attire. Yup, heals, and spandex. I am trying to prepare for a full day of heals at Ascot.

I haven't attempted them since the stress fracture, so this should be interesting...


No comments:

Post a Comment