As most Londoners will attest, winter arrived this week. It only took one hour on the windy platform at Clapham Junction with my light fall jacket, a cancelled train, and a post-swim wet pony tail, to get the message across. I think I was frozen for 48 hours straight after that.
Time for the comforts of seasonal cooking. For me, this means grilled vegetables. I love, love, love, love, grilled vegetables. We had some leftover chicken from last night's roast chicken dinner, and S suggested I make a Ratatouille with it. What's Ratatouille? No, I haven't seen the movie.
I looked it up. Game on.
And here's what you'll need to buy....
3 Courgettes (Zucchini..but when in Rome!)
2 Aubergines (ahem...eggplant)
1 yellow pepper
1 orange pepper
1 red onion
4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
3 tsp Thyme
8 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp sugar
Feta (to sprinkle on the top)
Method (this is where you'll realize I cheated- Sauteed and didn't grill):
1) Chop Courgettes, Aubergine, peppers, and onion into decent sizes pieces (see photo)
2) Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet, add Aubergine and cook for 5 mins (do not overcook) and sit aside. (I added sea salt as I was cooking to the Aubergines and the courgettes)
3) add another tbsp of oil and cook the courgettes for 5 mins and sit aside.
4) do the same with the peppers
5) chop the thyme and garlic finely
6) Add a tbsp of oil to the pan and cook the onions for 5 mins. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
7) Add the red wine vinegar, sugar, and tomatoes, and some of the thyme. Add the rest of the pre-cooked vegetables back into the pan, along with the rest of the thyme. Cook for 5 more minutes. Add Sea Salt, and pepper
|Admittedly having too much fun making the aubergines look like fish. I know.|
Tonight we are serving it with leftover Cauliflower mash, but polenta is another yummy suggestion. Garnish with Feta or Goat cheese.
Let me know what you think.